If you want a totally immersive experience, whether it be in gaming or movie-watching, projectors are definitely the way to go. People are often put off of projectors thinking that the quality isn’t as good as a TV, or that they won’t be able to watch it in the daytime. That is no longer true since technology moves fast and there are many projectors on the market which are capable of giving you the full HD experience, around the clock.
In this article we looked at three such projectors to see how they measure up to one another, so we can help you find the right one for your gaming and movie experiences.
Best Projectors for Gaming and Movies Reviews
1. Optoma Gaming Projector
Optoma is a successful manufacturing company that specializes in the production of projectors. They are currently the number one seller of digital light processing projectors in the USA.
The Optoma Gaming Projector has the following features:
- Short throw: This projector from Optoma is a short throw projector meaning that it can project large images at very little distance. Perfect if you have limited space for projection in your gaming den, this projector has the capability of projecting a 100-inch screen from just 3.5 feet distance.
- High-quality projection: The projector provides DarbeeVision image processing which helps to increase texture and depth in game graphics and HD video. Its full HD 1080p and 3000 lumens ratio will deliver exceptional visuals, even in lights-on setups.
- Highly accurate color: With a special gaming mode function, this projector's 28,000:1 contrast ratio allows for excellent gameplay. It also enhances the visuals of movies by creating excellent black levels so that you can see everything, even in the dark, harder-to-see parts of a movie.
- Versatile connectivity: This projector is compatible with game consoles, Blu-ray players, set-top boxes, and other HDMI devices such as the Amazon Fire Stick and Apple TV.
2. Sony Home Theater and Gaming Projector
A name synonymous with high-quality entertainment, Sony provides professional electronics, gaming, and entertainment from its Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation.
This projector has the following features:
- Long throw: This projector from Sony does require your gaming or entertainment room to be slightly large. Projecting from eight feet away, the Sony projector will create an image between 51 and 82 inches. At 12 feet away, it will produce an image size of around 77 to 122 inches, while at 16 feet, the image size will be up to 162 inches.
- High-quality imaging: This projector offers full HD imaging (1920 x 1080 resolution) with crystal clear graphics in a light controlled room. The Advance Reality Creation refines subtle details and gives you better-defined color and texture. Motionflow technology also offers you minimal blur, no matter how fast the action.
- Brightness: The white and color brightness is only 1800 lumens, but the calibrated brightness (in cinema mode) is 1315 lumens. While this should be enough to project a six-foot image in a room with some light coming in, it will not offer the brightness needed if you have the projector sitting further away (thereby projecting a larger image), unless it’s nighttime or if you can control the natural light coming into a room.
- Durability: Sony offers this projector with a three-year limited warranty should anything go wrong with the projector due to a manufacturing fault. The lamp contained within the projector specifies that it is long-lasting, offering up to 6,000 hours of life (operating in low mode), although this isn’t as long as the other two projectors.
3. ViewSonic Projector for Home Theater and Gaming
ViewSonic specializes in visual display technology. With their headquarters in California, ViewSonic is a global, leading provider of computing, consumer electronics, and communications solutions.
This projector offers the following:
- Short throw: This projector, like the one from Optoma, is a short throw projector meaning it can create a huge screen projection from just a few feet away from your wall. It offers supersized movies and gaming on a screen size of up to 300 inches.
- High-quality projection: Full HD images (1920 x 1080p resolution) are supported to give you a fully immersive theater-like experience, and exclusive color technology offers beautiful and highly contrasted colors in nearly every environment.
- Day and night use: The 3000 lumens will also ensure that you can enjoy your projected games and movies at any time of day, even if natural light can penetrate the room. The improved and reduced input latency is also ideal for action-packed gaming and movies as it delivers smooth and clear images without delay.
- Durability: ViewSonic also offers their projector with a three-year limited warranty for parts and labor should there be a fault. The long-life of the lamp is extraordinary at 15,000 hours operating in eco mode and is covered with a further one-year guarantee. They also have a fantastic USA-based customer service team if you have any questions or need any help with setup and projection.
- Connectivity: This projector is very flexible when it comes to connecting it up to any console, media player, computer, and mobile device supporting inputs such as HDMI and USB Type-C. It also offers quick charging using a USB cable.
All three of these projectors produce exceptionally high-quality images onto a large screen which is great for all types of home entertainment. However, our overall winner for the battle for the best projectors for gaming and movies is the projector from ViewSonic, with the Optoma model coming a close second.
The ViewSonic projector is capable of projecting huge, crystal-clear images across a minimal space, which is great if you are gaming or watching movies in a small room. Such a feature also makes it versatile to be used in most rooms around the house.
The reduced input latency makes it great for gaming and with universal connections, it can be easily hooked up to a variety of entertainment setups. Considering the picture quality and 3000 lumens of brightness it packs in, rather surprisingly, it is also the cheapest in our list.
We think the ViewSonic projector is a fantastic piece of equipment for a theater-like movie experience and for total gaming immersion, whatever time of day. By far, it is the best value for money on the market.